John Nimmo, leadership coach and author of ‘Why Wait? A leaders’ Perspective on Procrastination”, presents important real world perspectives for personal and business. Topics: why we procrastinate, getting past failure, and leadership. John presents one of the better discussion on the impact of resentment, revenge, and self-forgiveness.
John Nimmo is an author, teacher, executive coach and an agent of change. John is currently a certified coach and speaker. He is the founder of Leadershiplived.com.
John can be reached at:
Read the transcript here
- You can’t be productive if you don’t have progress, you are just busy. at 1:30
- Why do we put off solutions? 2:30
- We need to be aware of why we think what we think to find out our strengths/weaknesses. 3:45
- Subconscious is where our identity is held. It impacts our decisions. 7:30
- Who we think we are impacts our decisions. 8:03
- Reference to Dr. Maxwell Maltz’s Book “Psycho cybernetics” 8:20
- 14 million google hits on procrastination. 9:25
- 14.5% admit to procrastinate.
- 27% admit to do it sometimes.
- 21% do it often.
- 20.5% do it daily.
- Cost of Procrastination 10:25
- Inaction has a cost and a risk that is far greater than taking any action.
- We must create vision for the future. 11:00
- Sub-performing employee example 11:34
- Procrastinate having hard conversation because it is uncomfortable so put it off but don’t sleep well or not in the moment. Steals our life.
- We get better at over time.
- Reference to Jim Hardenson – 85% employees are disruptive. 11:54
- 4 Stages of Failure Loop – 12:56
- 1. Accept a project or goal.
- 2. Competing interests come in. Procrastinating.
- 3. Overwhelmed with working on the goal.
- 4. Rationalize you dislike your goal or place.
- Tom Landry Quote: The hardest part of coaching is getting players to do what they don’t want to do so that they can achieve what they really want.
- John differentiates between business managers and business leaders. 16:16
- How to replicate me so employees take responsibility? They do their job because want to not mandated.
- Business owners and procrastination. 18:12
- Tool to stop procrastination. 18:30
- Write down what you are doing at the time to subvert an activity so know what is costing.
- Candy bar example. 20:00
- Need to be aware of what is your temptation/craving to make a good decision of what to do.
- Can you procrastinate procrastination? 21:59
- Example of reading instead of doing what need to do to be productive.
- Your subconscious is below surface but in control. Be aware.
- Resentment leads to restriction. 23:52
- Your can become restricted in your thinking, in your actions, and evaluating risks based on past failures.
- Need to look in the mirror to get rid of resentment because it will restrict you.
- Need to come to terms with failure and learn from mistakes.
- Resentment is any negative emotion against an idea, place, etc. 25:22
- Realize that being restricted in one area of life without being restricted in all areas of life. 25:36
- John Maxwell quote: “Sometime we fail, sometimes we learn.”
- John Nimmo quote: “The Key is are you going to go on, and forgive yourself” 26:27
- Get a coach, mentor, or trusted advisor to hold you accountable and be vulnerable with 26:56
- Abraham Lincoln failed so many times but didn’t let that stop him from becoming a success.
- Discussion on revenge 29:00
- Revenge is getting even but who wants to get even, you want to get ahead. 29:15
- You can’t carry that baggage and get ahead.
- Business is not all flowers. 29:50
- Practice leads to getting better at doing those hard things 31:00
- Isolation is your enemy 31:54
- We can’t see the label of the jar we are in. 32:30
- Every professional athlete has a coach who can see what you don’t and point you in direction.
** I sometimes use affiliate products to help support the websites costs. It doesn’t cost you anything more and if you purchase I may get compensated. Your support is most appreciated.