Guest Dan Purcell, owner of Virgo Dev mobile app company, takes us on a business journey that includes taking big leaps, secrets to hiring a good team, overcoming business disaster, and discovering along the way that your happiness is directly tied to your family relationships. A discovery so big that he wrote two marriage apps to help others toward the happiness he’s learned.
Dan’s contact info:
- Email: Dan_at_virgodev.com
- Access Dan’s Marriage App: Get Your Marriage On!
Taking Big Leaps
- Making the leap from employment to business owner.
- Big commitment to hiring first employee.
- Staying with it, i.e. having late night reviews with spouse.
Hiring and Building a Quality team
- Increase your application pool and selection.
- Have “Un-Internships” to develop great talent.
- Look for achievement pattern, have heart, like what they do.
- Give a basic test during interview.
- Hold an amazing first day for new hire….have everything ready to go for them.
- Spend two hours with new hire on first day.
Overcoming Major Setbacks
- Things can quickly happen for the worse, have financial savings.
- Okay to cry.
- Make the best decision you can with the information available.
- Okay to start-over, in fact, it may be the best option.
- Push to talk at a deeper level, more meaning.
- Working on your marriage has a very high ROI (return-on-investment).
Book Resources Mentioned (Amazon Affiliate Links)
- How to Hire A-Players: Finding the Top People for Your Team by Erik Herrenkohl
- Hire With Your Head : A Rational Way to Make a Gut Decision by Lou Adler