Get real on how leadership skills can help you take on the challenges of business ethics and marriage challenges. Listen to this interview with Bill Ford, a retired Lt. Colonel USMC, manager at an electronics manufacturing company, and married for 52 years to the same woman (it can be done!). He shares some of the business ethics and marriage challenges in life and how the leadership elements of listening, problem solving, and communication can help you life a better life.
- A definition of leadership: “Quality of human understanding, intellect, and moral character enabling one to inspire and control a group of people successful without the use of authority.”
- Leadership has elements of listening, problem solving, and communication.
- Approach to problem solving: Situation -> Elements -> Act on it
- Marriage problems can stem from a lack of communication, money resources and control, and sexual activity
SMEAC – Marines use a 5-paragraph format or standard to communicate orders. My understanding is the SMEAC was developed in the Civil war era, a time when the offices were educated, but most of the enlisted soldiers where not. Still used today because it provides the need for clear and precise instructions in dangerous situations across distance and time.
Administration & Logistics
Command & Communication
JJ DID TIE BUCKLE – U.S. Marine Leadership Traits
JJ = Justice, Judgement
DID = Decisiveness, Integrity, Dependability
TIE = Tact, Initiative, Endurance
BUCKLE = Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, Enthusiasm
Links and Resources
- Business Enterprise Center
- D. Scott Smith’s book at Amazon (affiliate link): “Motivational Listener: Be Interesting by Being Interested: Practical Skills to Be Successful at Business Networking Events”